Eric Lefkofsky Talks With Fortune

Eric Lefkofsky spoke with Fortune recently about Tempus, which he was inspired to start after his wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Doctors don’t have the necessary access to data when treating Cancer. Treatment could be made better if a doctor was able to access a database of information about a patient that includes the treatment the patient is receiving and how they are responding to the treatment. Such a database could answer questions about why 40% will respond to a treatment but not the other 60%.

To answer the questions that could easily be answered by Tempus, there would have to be years of research funded by grants. Even then answers wouldn’t be as widespread as it should be. It’s vital to patients that this information be easily accessed by everyone involved in research and treatment. Eric Lefkofsky told Fortune that most of the time truck drivers are provided with more data about their jobs than oncologists are. Tempus would use existing electronic medical records to find patterns between treatments and results.

Eric Lefkofsky has been described by some as “a serial entrepreneur”. He began his career selling carpet as a freshman in college. Now he is the co-founder and CEO of Tempus. He is the co-founder of Lightbank, Innerworkings, and Uptake Technologies, as well as the co-founder and chairman of Groupon. Lefkofsky has 103 investments in 74 companies. He graduated from the University of Michigan and received his Juris Doctor at University of Michigan Law School. He is an adjunct professor at University of Chicago and author of Accelerated Disruption.Also known to be a philanthropist, Lefkofsky and his wife, Liz, began a charitable trust called the Lefkofsky Family Foundation which has a mission of “supporting charitable, scientific, educational organizations, and causes around the world.” His foundation funds grants in the areas of education, human rights, health care, medical research, and arts and culture in Chicago.